KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 Stage Knife Sharpener Review
If you’re searching for a reliable and durable knife sharpener that won’t break the budget, KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 can be everything you need. It’s quite small yet very reliable and easy to use. In this short review, we will go through the main features of this little device, but also answer some of the most common questions regarding the use and maintenance of the sharpener, and provide you with little details to help you make an informed choice. I believe that KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 is better than its competitors and here is why.
The main features
KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 is an inexpensive sharpener that is surprisingly versatile and durable. It features a two-stage system with a coarse side for sharpening and a fine side for honing. The sharpener comes with a user manual and learning the technique won’t take long. The coarse side is made of carbide while the other side features ceramic since it’s one of the best sharpening agents.
The device features black and silver colors and an ergonomic handle that ensures the sharpener is secure, safe and comfortable to use. The bottom part has rubber feet that secures it on countertops. Some of the main features of this sharpener are:
- Only 4.2 x 3.1 x 5.9 inches in size and weight is only one pound.
- User friendly. You only need to pull a blade through the slots 2-5 time and it is sharpened.
- Carbide and ceramic are reliable materials that ensure long lifespan.
- The average price for the device is only $10, which is less expensive than stone systems or electric sharpeners.
V grip bottom
This knife sharpener would be much less practical if the manufacturer didn’t add the V grip bottom. Thanks to this little feature, you can place the device on slippery surfaces or anywhere you want. The V grip bottom allows you to use the sharpener without getting injured – it is secured on the countertop. The bottom is made of durable materials and will last for years, even if you use the sharpener every day. The handle is made with safety in mind as well, so it offers a good grip, slipping is never a problem. These features make the process of blade sharpening much safer and quicker. And you don’t need to be a professional to sharpen your knives like a pro.
The main color of this device is black and silver, but the company have more colors to offer, including some bright ones. You can get the sharpener in red and green as well. Everything else is the same, but it’s always nice to have some variety in design. The surface was treated with a special protective coating, so it’s scratch resistant.
KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 Stage Knife Sharpener can handle excessive use in professional kitchen or travel with you anywhere you go. Thanks to some brighter colors, it’s suitable for colorful kitchen and it will always add a splash of color. Most sharpeners come only in black or grey, so it will stand out in your countertop.
According to the manufacturer, the sharpener was made from the strongest materials that are lightweight enough to keep the weight of the device very low. It means that when you buy this sharpener, you get a device that can handle rough use. It can be used daily and handle every type of blade you have in your kitchen. Even though the sharpener is one of the most affordable in the market, it will last forever. Moreover, it’s one of the best selling options and customers claim it’s a good investment.
Below, I will answer some of the most common questions for this device:
- Does it work on serrated knives? No, it doesn’t. If you try to sharpen this kind of blade, you will destroy the serrated part, as the device sharpening sides aren’t design for them.
- Do you need to keep a proper angle when sharpening blades? Your job is to keep the blade as straight as you can. The sharpener has the right angle already, so all you need to do is to hold the knife for the blade to be sharpened evenly.
- Does this sharpener need electricity to work? No, this is a manual device. You should apply force to pass the blade through the slots and sharpen it. Therefore, it takes more effort than with electric sharpeners, and a bit of skill to learn, which is why the sharpener is so affordable.
KitchenIQ 50009 Edge Grip 2 Stage Knife Sharpener is portable, user-friendly and lightweight, and you can place it on a flat surface of a table or countertop. Carbide and ceramic blades feature sharpening angles set by the manufacturer to ensure you get consistent results every time. Carbide blades make sure you sharpen the blades quickly, and the ceramic rods are used to achieve the best results with edge honing.
This knife sharpener is the latest and one of the most popular in this price range, and some people claim it’s the best sharpening device, because it offers versatility and reliability you wouldn’t expect from this little thing. The materials will last for a long time, so there is no reason not to invest in this sharpener. As a little bonus, it is one of the rare manual sharpeners that come in different colors, including brighter options, to fit different kitchen styles.